Starting Monday Carmens mom came to help out with Aflons and Ricard because Alfons' summer camp was over and he doesn't start school till next Monday. I can't remember her mom's name (whoops) but she doesn't speak ANY english so I have been FORCED to use my little Spanish and get by. It is hard but really a good way to learn. I have been spoiled since I've been here not only because of the nice pad I am living in but because Carmen and Alfonso speak good english. The past two days and today we have been to the centre to buy different things like fresh bread, fish, coffee- for me-, cheeses and pasta. Her mom and I have figured out a way to communicate even though we can't really speak to each other. I mostly do the listening and can't really respond except for si or no and sometimes no se. I feel like this is all I say. No se. Which means I dont know. Or no comprendo. I can actually understand her and get the jist of what she is saying but when it comes time to respond it gets pretty funny or sad whichever way you look at it.
Although today has been the best of the 3 days she has been here and kinda feel normal about communicating.
Tomorrow is some Catalan holiday where no one works so Alfonso and Carmen have off work any maybe I will venture out into this strange place alone - as in go for a much needed run to the beach and not speak to anyone hah. I did manage to buy my first purchase here which was OK. A cell phone to call Carmen, Alfons and Carmen's sister-lorena- who we had dinner with last Friday night. She is also incredibly nice and can speak english too. awesome right? I know her mom thinks I am crazy coming to Spain not knowing a lick of Spanish because she talks abnormally slow to me like I am deaf or something- just think when you encounter someone in the States who speaks bad English.. I am that person here! In hind sight probably not the best idea to take on that kinda of challenge but too late now!
2 comments:
haha, don't worry so much about the language - it will come to you! Just keep your ears open!
I think you are kinda crazy too...
but I don't know that it has to do with your spanish! :)
Force yourself to try to talk, it helps get the mind thinking that way. I started doing this at the mexican restaurant and now when I go in, I can't speak english. weird? yeah, I am crazy too.
Post a Comment