Monday, October 6, 2008

Out on my own


This weekend was a fun quest to learn new things and meet new people! I started by not opening a bank account I have tried to for the past month but it was closed because of construction... (Ok this part was not fun) Still living off the euros Carol paid me when helping her move... Good thing we found a lot! After we figured out the bank was closed I jumped out of the car and ran across the street to the train station. Good-bye family! (No, I have never rode the train yet and figuring everything out by myself? Uhh,   I guess so!)





Bought a one-way ticket to BCN and rode along the unbelievable 
Med Sea the whole way there... I got into town to figure out I had to switch from train to metro and somehow made it on the right rail to meet up with a new fun friend Heather who is also up for exploring. We went for crepes for lunch and walked all around the city looking at different things. From the Gothic Cathedral- didn't go in :( but on my list to do... then all around the streets popping in itty bitty stores and seeing if the tourists we were wanted to spend our valuable money on anything. We made our way over to Las Ramblas - huge promenade area for walking, shopping and people watching - then onto the market and through the harbor area. Of course I wanted to buy everything but decided I will just have to come back either next weekend or asap! 


Around 7 I called another friend of a friend Laura to meet up for drinks and dinner at her flat in the middle of bcn. Turned out we were a five minute walk from her place so we grabbed a cheap bottle of wine and some desserts from a very chic bomboneria to offer for taking us in! (after all she was letting me spend the night not knowing me?) Laura was super nice along with all of her flat mates and friends she had over. Her boyfriend cooked us some traditional tortilla de patats (eggs w potatoes, thick and fluffy), olives, sausage, chicken w some vegetables and rice. It was quite a crowd w most people speaking spanish and perfect environment for me to learn! Laura is brit/french and Heather is from Roswell - parents go to church together- so we could all communicate but other than this everyone speaks spanish, catalan or french. One of Lauras flat mates was Russian hailing from LA so we definitely had a hodge podge of people.. 
Dinner was awesome aside from the fact EVERYONE smokes and stay
s up until 4 and I actually saw my phone hit 5 am. Who knew experiencing Spain could be so exhausting? Esp because I was getting up at 930 to meet Heather for church the next morning... None the less I got up on time and miraculously didnt get lost finding her - phone not working this was every important. We made the hike to the St. George Church which turned out to be pretty cool and met some more girls to possibly go exploring and or show me around bcn. This one lady was introducing me to a million people and after an hour and a half I was like OK I need to make my way back to Llavaneres which turned out to be over a hour trip back by metro, train bus and walking.. 
Not sure how I made it all of Saturday and Sunday with out getting lost and taking the right train or metro every time... but no problem for me! Maybe I understand more Spanish/Catalan than I think I do?




4 comments:

aee_417 said...

I'm so proud of you that you survived your first solo adventure! I'm glad you are having a good time and meeting people to explore with. Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Could you understand what they were saying in Church? What was it like? We saw Heathers folks Sunday. They were excited for you girls to meet.

Unknown said...

Holy cow man what an awesome weekend. So glad you got to go out and explore. Its like you are living Euro... hehehe. And been to the market you mentioned, its awesome and the church too. You def have to go in it, its so amazing!

Rae said...

Oh to be young and single! What a great weekend. If I stay up until midnight, I turn into my evil twin. I don't know that I could do 5 am anymore!