
Me, Adrianna and Jorge... and our trusty driver Lolo

Chateau in Carcassonne, France
This group of friends I met through my friend Emmita who ended up not being able to go.... Which meant I was left to fend for myself with my broken Spanish. Most everyone could understand bits and pieces of english but everyone was really speaking Spanish. Talk about immersion! Up until this point in Spain I've had a little english bubble that I've been in and was functional in Spanish but not really conversational. So now I am well on my way.

the group...
All of us met at the main train station in Barcelona and headed to Bordeaux by caravanning. A long trip later with a couple stops to visit a chateau and to buy food for the weekend we made it to a sweet wine country house around 11pm. After eating around 12am we commenced into a salsa dance party, with me learning once again 1 and 2 and 1 and 2. repeat. Lets just say my brain was dead after a day of listening to Castellano and a latino dance lesson.
our nice little french country casa
The next morning we got up pretty early and headed into the city of Bordeaux to explore. A beautiful city although the weather wasn't the best we were successful in roaming the streets, finding a couple of key landmarks and strolling by the marina. Another very long trip back to the country house with losing the caravan in the rain made for another 11pm dinner and yet another lesson in latino dance.

A fountian in Bordeaux at Placa des Quinconces and wine fields...
Sunday we ventured to Saint Emilion which is one of the principal red wine areas of Bordeaux. A tour of the church and the catacombs there found the entire group worn out and dragging our feet a bit. We ended up missing a wine tasting a different chateau which only meant we were able to eat dinner at a "reasonable" hour of 830. One of the french guys dubbed "Lolo" brought his guitar and the group turned to me to know the lyrics of all the english songs. I think most everyone knew just as much as I did of the Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Marley and Dylan. Music was definitely my friend this weekend for we speak the same language.

Me in Saint Emillion and some of the chicas...
Monday morning we all got up early to clean the poor french country house that was subject to our fiesta ways. Left the house around 12pm, drove, stopped a couple times, had some dance parties in gas station parking lots, ate lunch and made it back to bcn around 8 pm. I was prepared to make the 1.5 hr trek back to Llavaneres by train, bus, walking only to find out the group wanted to hang out LONGER and grab some grub. Just past 10pm I found myself running to my train just to see it pulling up the platform. Phew! If I missed this train it would mean I would have to spend the night in the city. Made it back to find out the bus stops at 8 pm on Sunday and with no money on my phone I hitched a ride with a good ole spaniard to the centre of Llavaneres. That uphill 2.2 km would of NOT been fun after that weekend...
Home safe and sound! Next adventure is...
1 comment:
Nice pics Kelley. The scenery looked amazing, and you know me.. i loved the flowers!!! Miss you tons
Post a Comment