Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas in España

Christmas is in 8 days! Time is flying! 

Christmas is celebrated in Catalonia on the 25th but continues to January 6th (Epiphany Day) where children leave there shoes on the doorstep on the Eve of Epiphany and the three wise men pass leaving gifts. Children can go see the wise men's "secretary" all over in different cities before January 6th. On the Eve of Epiphany one can go to see parades of the wise men whether it be coming by boats from the Mediterranean or on Camels from the Mountains. The story goes that the three wise men are traveling through the country to Bethlehem and to properly receive them children (and adults) leave their shoes filled with straw on their doorstep. For their efforts they are rewarded with presents the next day. 

All sorts of dishes are served for Los Reyes Magos (Three Kings/ Wisemen) such as Mazapan, polvoron, roscon de Reyes and turron. (Pictures to come) Mazapan is a sweet bread with almonds, sugar, fruit- I think. Polvoron is basically smashed almonds and sugar in a candy wrapper that falls apart when you open it/bite into it. Turron is (another) confection with honey, sugar, almond and white egg shaped in a rectangle and roscon de Reyes is a large ring shaped cake decorated with candied fruits symbolic of the rubies and emeralds that adorned the kings robes. Somewhere inside the cake is a surprise and whoever finds it remains the King or Queen the remainder of the day (if its me I will make everyone speak english...)

We are going all over for Christmas. Christmas eve or Nochebuena we will go to Alfonso's fathers apartment in Gava (ironically where I got Kara and I lost) then return home probably really late and hopefully sleep in Christmas day. Church is at 1130 in the centre (I'm sure totally packed and in Catalan) Maybe I will understand some? Then we will head to Carmen's parents in Badalona which is next to Barcelona or maybe they will come here. We have a TON planned for when the boys are off school and C and A are off work. Can't wait.

Also there is something called the "el tio" which means uncle but also is a little "animal" (or a wooden log with legs and a face but only in Catalonia) where children leave food or treats every night for him outside and wake up the next morning to see that he has moved and eaten the treats. On Christmas eve or on Christmas (not sure) the children take a stick and hit the tio until more treats come. Not exactly sure where or how the treats appear or why they actually hit the nice little tio they gave treats to.. I guess I'll find out soon. Here is a picture of our tio











and our Christmas tree (yes it is fake. although hard to believe right?)















un petit bebe














"Help me Kelley!"


















No comments: